Wednesday, December 17, 2008

(jury) duty calls

I've been to our Law & Justice (not to be confused with Law & Order) center twice this week.

Monday I made it into the courtroom for jury selection, but the defendant had a change of heart before we got started and took the plea deal. I guess he took one look at us and decided to take control of his own destiny.

Tuesday I watched the orientation video again and sat around for 2 hours. One defendant settled again and one trial got delayed so freedom was mine once again.

Most people I've talked to enjoyed jury duty and felt it was interesting and informative. I will withhold judgment until I really participate in the process.

Also want to say bravo about the new Secretary of Education, Arne Duncan. He's done wonders for Chicago Public Schools. I can't wait to see what he does at the national level.

No comments: