Wednesday, September 5, 2007

fall fashion

The single best thing about living in the Midwest is just around the corner - fall! The crisp air, beautiful leaves and football (finally!) are just a few reasons to love the too-short season.

Fall fashion is a whole separate topic. As is Halloween. First thing's first: fashion.

I picked up the September issue of Lucky and they have a few great (and some forgettable) fashion tips to consider. A-line jackets, circle skirts and opaque tights are a few of my early favorites.

I started to shop for a few key pieces this weekend by checking out what's available within 50 miles of Bloomington-Normal, which, *sigh*, isn't much. Thank goodness for Target, where I checked out the new line from Isaac Mizrahi, and I also made my first visit to Steve & Barry's to see the Bitten line from Sarah Jessica Parker.

Both lines contain some great pieces, but a few stand-out due to their flawless design and "of the moment" cache.

Top finds:
  • An adorable dress from Isaac in a light eggplant color. Includes pockets (LOVE that) and hidden shoulder snaps to hide bra straps (it's the little things like this that make the dress a quick and easy can't-miss look). The belt felt a little too matchy-matchy for me so I wore a brown suede/gold buckle belt instead. This dress will wear well into November with a blouse underneath and tights.
  • A chunky but not bulky a-line sweater from Bitten in dark gray. This is the piece I will wear over and over again.
  • A great brown suede bag from Bitten that I didn't need but couldn't pass up at $15
I'm still looking for cute flats that aren't $400 (ideas?) and, of course, I am continuing on the endless search for the perfect pants.

Trends I won't be wearing this fall: high-waist pants and animal prints
Trend I'm still not sure about: ankle boots

Let me know about your fashion finds and what you will/won't be wearing this fall!

1 comment:

Lynn B. said...

I must start off by saying that you could totally pull off the high waist pants if you wanted to, but I agree with all of your will and won't trend notes. Ankle boots could be cute in the right situation, but they will be an OUT next year so it's not worth it.

Check out Jessica Simpson's flats--I am in love with them and I have my eye on several pairs right now. I bought a metallic pair early this year and they were well worth the $65.

I also have my eye on some new Silver jeans, but I just have to make myself spend the $70. I'm gonna do it eventually, but I've ended up at Dillards twice and can't summon the power to buy them :-)